Sunday, January 30, 2011

a lesson in paying attention to deadlines!

I had been wanting to play along with Verve's January Diva Dare this month, ever since the DT posts started! The dare was to "make a card, project, layout, or whatever fits your stamping style using this month's theme - Baby Love!" PERFECT, especially since I just got some of the new January release stamps, which include some sweet baby and love themed images! I just could not wait to play with the sweet little Emory Plain Jane, which I paired with a sentiment from To The Moon.

The only problem is, it turns out that the deadline to post and enter was LAST NIGHT at midnight, not TONIGHT! WAAHHH!! And the real kick in the pants is that I had this card finished yesterday, but just got around to taking pics today - thinking that I had until tonight to enter. Ah well... lesson learned! But here is my card anyway!


I originally was looking forward to coloring Emery with Copics, but when I sat down to pick out colors, it turns out (hard as it is to believe, HAH!) that I didn't have the right combination of Copics for Emery's sweet, soft and delicate look. I need to get some more lighter shades (00's and 000's) for the really soft blending that Emery deserves! :) So instead, I stamped the cutie-patootie several times on some pretty gingham October Afternoon paper, cut them out and popped up his arms and head for a cool 3D effect. I really love how it turned out (but yeah, I still need some more Copics, dontcha think?? ;)


The colors are PTI Hawaiian Shores, Aqua Mist and Harvest Gold.  I die-cut the teeny little heart with the PTI Love Lives Here butterfly die (tip: add double-sided tape to the back of the paper before you cut, for easy adhering!).  I colored the 3 rhinestones with my Copics to match the color scheme, and I also used the January Week 4 Viva La Verve sketch!


Thanks for looking! (And I will try to be more timely next time!!)

13 comments:

Ravengirl said...

Oh my gosh! He is soooo cute! Love that you paper pieced him!

Keva said...

Debbie, this is too cute! Isn't Emery just the greatest? He's my favorite little animal right now. :)

I really like the colors, too and that impression panel looks awesome. I've been wanting that one for a while. I'm sorry you missed the deadline. I hate when that happens to me.

Karen C. said...

Your little blue gingham elephant is just adorable. Love all the layers and your colour combo too!

Stephanie said...

OMG.......Emery is just so adorable! I love that you paper pieced him using blue gingham. I just want to squeeze him!

Moon Scraps! said...

Cute card..... and I know where you can get Copics for $4.15 each .. just a lil enabling for ya :)

Jessie said...

Oh so cute! I love the colors you used!

Becky Carafa said...

Super cute! And yes, you can never have too many copics, lol!

Julee (Vervegirl) said...

Oh, this is so sweet. Love the colors and the darling gingham! When I was a kid, I had a stuffed gingham elephant that looked just like this!

Renee said...

Absolutely adorable!
Love the colors...and your paper piecing is fantastic!
Love the elephant...Emory.
I had a pink one when I was a little girl...it even played music. Loved it! Ok...I loved it too much...it didn't survive my childhood.:)

Lindsay said...

I hate when that happens! This card is adorable! I loove the colors and that paper-pieced elephant is too cute!

Suzanne said...

So. Stinkin'. Cute. I need that elephant stamp. Baby-fever is rampant at work and I'm gonna need a few cards.

Emery is perfect on gingham and I love the way he's been trimmed and popped up. Your card may have been late, but it was definitely worth waiting for!

Rhonda said...

I love Emery paper pieced. Thanks for the inspiration Debbie

Jackie Pedro said...

OMG....how cute, Debbie! LOVE Emery paper pieced!!