Monday, January 17, 2011

catching up with the Posse + CPS201

Since I am sooooo late posting these cards that I actually finished (yay me!) for the Papertrey Posse's January challenges, I am going to get them both posted at once!  Also, the 2nd card below is for the CPS #201 challenge - be sure to check it out, what a great sketch!

First, for the January Petite Posse challenge, Sarah challenged us to make a one-layer card. Now I should day, I am terribly intimidated by one-layer cards! I see some on other blogs that I LOVE, but I never seem to know what to do with only one layer to work with! ACK! So here is my attempt:


I used PTI's Fillable Frame #4, and after stamping it I die-cut it from a post-it note to use as a mask, and then stamped my background with Turning a New Leaf.  The lower part of the panel is a grid background stamp that I recently got from Market Street Stamps. I finished things off with a bit of ribbon, Creative Charm gems, a button and some twine.

Next, for the main January challenge, Sarah challenged us to use a black base or background for our card.  I paired my true black background panel (embossed with the Sunshine Impression Plate) with Simply Chartruese and Harvest Gold.  Since I have had the YOF: Gladiolus for quite a while but haven't used them much, I tried to do a tone-on-tone effect for the main image/sentiment panel, just shading the inner parts of the flowers with a Copic marker.  The black gemstones are from Creative Charms.


I also used the CPS #201 sketch for this card! What a fun and inspiring sketch, I think I might have ot use it again.

Thanks for looking, and a BIG thanks to Sarah for the great challenges!

9 comments:

Sue Ann said...

I think they are both FANTASTIC!!! The Glads are so beautiful with the darker color behind!! WONDERFUL!!!

Sarah Souza said...

These are both just so so so pretty! I love the classic simplicity on the first card. Fantastic job on the masking on that card. Your color choices on the second card are just fabulous! I never thought of using those together! I really should try that combo one of these days!

Suzanne said...

Both cards are great. You did a great job on the one layer card. You've inspired me to get caught up with the challenges too.

Jessie said...

Your cards are great!

Stephanie said...

You don't know what to do with 1 layer cards?? Girl your card ROCKS!!! And I truly mean it! It's gorgeous! The ribbon where the two patterns meet is so pretty. I love your other card, too......but, wow on that first one!

Jen Adcock said...

Gosh your one layer card phobia is one of the world's best kept secrets. Anyone would think it was a specialty of yours. You totally kicked butt..in the most lady-like way of course. Both divine!

Kristii said...

Absolutely fantastic cards!!! I just love what you did with both challenges!! I have a phobia of one layer cards, so I totally understand where you are coming from! I just have to say that you totally rocked it!!!

Becky Carafa said...

Your OLC turned out wonderful! and the black base card is just gorgeous, love the tone on tone effect. Nicely done!

Elizabeth S. said...

Both of your cards are so pretty. Love the yellow and black combo.