Thursday, April 5, 2007

the satisfaction of inky fingers (published work)

Published in Memory Makers Magazine, April '07 issue
Main journaling:
Inky fingers. I guess it’s kind of like that “good sweat” after a tough workout at the gym. Do I like to be all sweaty? No. But it’s very satisfying. The sign of having accomplished something worthwhile. That’s how it feels after a session at my scrapbooking table, when I look at my hands and see the ink all over my fingers. It’s that sign of accomplishment, of having worked hard on my next creation. I suppose that’s why digital scrapbooking just isn’t for me. I cannot imagine walking away from my craft without those inky fingers -those wonderfully messy, delightfully satisfying inky fingers.
Hidden journaling under file folders:
Dye Ink
Their thinner consistency makes them perfect for blending and great for general stamping purposes. They dry more quickly than pigment inks making them tough to emboss with. But I love the convenient application in the Marvy LePlume pens, for blending and coloring stamped images. And Ranger’s Distress Inks are perfect for getting an aged, antiqued look!

Solvent Ink
These inks will stay put on just about any surface – metal, plastic, paper, transparencies, glass, etc! Alcohol inks are especially fun to dab on and blend together on metal embellishments or tag rims. StazOn is perfect for coloring or distressing metal letters, brads and charms, for stamping onto cooled UTEE, or for creating an outline to fill in and blend with dye inks.

Pigment Ink
Pigment inks are thicker and juicier than dye inks. Since they take longer to dry than a dye ink, embossing powders stick to them nicely, making them a good choice for heat embossing. On glossy surfaces, the relative juiciness of pigment inks will prevent them from drying – but a sprinkle of embossing powder and a turn under the heat tool will solve that dilemma!

Pseudo Ink
I call these “pseudo-inks” because they are not inks at all – but similarly contribute to that satisfying inky fingers result. Acrylic paints, dry and liquid chalks, embossing powders and the like: they all help to get that down-in-the-trenches feeling of literally getting your hands dirty whether working with them alone or in conjunction with the other mediums.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the layout Debbie - keep up the great work!
Crystal Jeffrey Rieger